If you are an italki Student, continue reading below. If you are an italki Teacher, please visit the Teacher's Community Post regarding the italki Classroom.
- Classroom-enabled student accounts
- Optional or Required?
- Lesson Content Privacy
- Supported Browsers & Devices
- How to use the Classroom
- Current Limitations and Beta Testing
We are happy to announce the new italki Classroom! The italki Classroom is italki's own video chat service. It's built into the browser so you don't need any extra tools like Skype.
The new Classroom offers:
- A seamless experience for students and teachers to have a lesson
- A quick lesson confirmation flow for students after the lesson
- Built-in video, audio and text chat
CLASSROOM-ENABLED STUDENT ACCOUNTS
We're currently testing the italki Classroom with a select group of students. If you are part of the select group, read on to learn more about the italki Classroom. We want to make sure that the italki works well before rolling it out to everyone on italki.
We will gradually increase the percentage of students and countries that have access to the Classroom in the next few months.
IMPORTANT: Other communication tools (i.e. Skype) will continue to be used for currently booked lessons or unscheduled lessons in previously purchased packages.
OPTIONAL OR REQUIRED?
The use of the italki Classroom by teachers and students is optional. However, we do encourage teachers and students to use the Classroom (see benefits for teachers below) and provide us with feedback.
IMPORTANT: You are welcome to continue to use another communication tool (i.e. Skype, Zoom). However, new students to italki with Classroom-enabled accounts do not have the opportunity to provide external communication tool IDs while scheduling a lesson. You may send them a message prior to the lesson start time or communicate your preference during a lesson.
LESSON CONTENT PRIVACY
Your lesson content is private. italki does not have access to your video or audio content and we do not record video or audio of any part of a lesson in the italki Classroom. Under special circumstances (i.e. Lesson Disputes), italki customer service staff may access message text-only history to support a resolution to a reported problem.
SUPPORTED BROWSERS & DEVICES
Teachers and students will need a desktop or laptop computer with one of the supported web browser below:
IMPORTANT: We do not currently support Classroom lessons on mobile or tablets.
HOW TO USE THE CLASSROOM
- You'll know you be helping us test the italki Classroom during your lesson booking process. You'll be able to select the italki Classroom as a Communication Tool.
GET SET UP!
- After your lesson request is accepted by your teacher, you will see a new VIEW LESSON button in your dashboard under Upcoming Lessons:
30 minutes before the lesson starts, the button will change to JOIN LESSON:
- Clicking on VIEW LESSON or JOIN LESSON will take you to the Classroom welcome screen (see below). If this is your first time using the Classroom (or if you’re using the Classroom on a new computer), your browser will prompt you to allow italki.com to access your camera and microphone.
Google Chrome - Allow camera + microphone:
Mozilla Firefox - Allow camera + microphone:
- This is also a good opportunity to test your connectivity.
START YOUR LESSON!
- The START YOUR LESSON button will appear at your lesson start time (as shown above). Click on it to enter the Classroom.
- If you experience connection problems on italki Classroom, you have access to your student’s details (and they to yours) from the ‘Connection problems?’ link.
IMPORTANT: While using the italki Classroom, please also have your Skype or other communication tool open and ready in the background in case your student has connection problems and wants to connect with you through an external communication tool.
- After your italki Classroom is complete, go ahead and confirm by selecting EVERYTHING WAS OK or I HAD PROBLEMS
CURRENT LIMITATIONS AND BETA TESTING
Please note that this is the first version of the italki Classroom and the functionality is limited to Video, Voice and Messaging Chat. We current do not offer other advanced functions such as file sharing, large file transfer or screensharing. We hope to add these features and others features in upgraded versions of the italki Classroom.
If you do test the italki Classroom, we'd like to hear your feedback if you use it. You can always send us an email to email@example.com!