Updated: July 23, 2018
If you are an italki Student, continue reading below. If you are an italki Teacher, please visit Teaching on italki -> How to Use the italki Classroom? for updated instructions regarding the italki Classroom.
We are happy to announce the new italki Classroom! The italki Classroom is italki's own video chat service. It's built into the browser so you don't need any extra tools like Skype.
We're currently testing the italki Classroom with a select group of students. If you are part of the select group, read on to learn more about the italki Classroom. We will gradually increase the percentage of students and countries that have access to the Classroom in the next few months.
IMPORTANT: We do not currently support Classroom lessons on mobile or tablets.
HOW TO USE THE CLASSROOM
You'll know you be helping us test the italki Classroom during your lesson booking process. You'll be able to use the italki Classroom as a Communication Tool if you are selected.
GET SET UP!
1. 24hrs before the lesson starts, the button in the lesson detail page will change from Change date/time into View Lesson:
More than 24hrs before the lesson starts:
Within 24hrs before the lesson starts:
2. Clicking on View Lesson will take you to the Classroom welcome screen (see below). If this is your first time using the Classroom (or if you’re using the Classroom on a new computer), your browser will prompt you to allow italki.com to access your camera and microphone.
Google Chrome - Allow camera + microphone:
Mozilla Firefox - Allow camera + microphone:
Safari - Allow camera + microphone:
START YOUR LESSON!
1. Click Join lesson button to enter the italki classroom, as the lesson will not start until 24hrs later, currently you may only message to the other.
2. If you experience connection problems on italki Classroom, you have access to your student’s details (and they to yours) from the ‘Connection problems?’ link.
IMPORTANT: While using the italki Classroom, please also have your Skype or other communication tool open and ready in the background in case your student has connection problems and wants to connect with you through an external communication tool.
3. After your italki Classroom is complete, go ahead and confirm by selecting EVERYTHING WAS OK or I HAD PROBLEMS
If you do test the italki Classroom, we'd like to hear your feedback if you use it. You can always send us an email to email@example.com!