We require that teachers have native proficiency or C2 level in order to teach a target language. italki uses the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) for reporting language proficiency.
How do I demonstrate my language level on italki?
- (Mandatory) Speak in the language during your introduction video
- (Optional) Upload language proficiency certification
- (Optional) If you are an English teacher, take the Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT). You can display the result on your profile where students will easily see it.
How is this shown on a teacher's profile?
Your teacher profile shows the languages you teach and speak.
Additions or updates to any of these require approval by italki staff. You can go to https://teach.italki.com/console/profile - Languages to update it.
italki retains the rights to:
- Modify the language level(s) on teachers’ profiles if the reported language level is suspected of being inaccurate or misleading.
- Remove a teacher from the teacher search in a particular language if a teacher’s language level is suspected of being below the necessary requirement to teach.
- Deactivate teacher profiles that have false or misleading information about the teacher’s language proficiency level.