A student and teacher can agree to terminate a package. Here are instructions on how to send a request to terminate and refund unused lessons of a package. If there is a disagreement, then italki will mediate.
If you are having troubles, please contact italki support after requesting to terminate the package and send the Package ID#.
Note: If you request to terminate a package, all upcoming lessons in this package will be cancelled.
Request Package Termination:
Step One: Click Packages on the top right dropdown menu to go to your Package list.
Or, follow this link to go to your Packages: https://www.italki.com/lessons/packages
Step Two: Select the appropriate package, and then click "Request to Terminate Package" on the bottom right hand corner
Step Three: Enter your password to confirm that you want to terminate the package
Step Four: A package termination request will be sent to the teacher
If a student or teacher finds it necessary to terminate a lesson package which has already been partially fulfilled (for example, 3 lessons have been taught in a 10 lesson package), we encourage the two parties to reach an agreement on how to divide the italki Credits remaining in the package.
However, in the event that italki is asked to mediate, then we will use the following guidelines.
Package Termination Policy
IMPORTANT: When using our system to request a package termination, the system currently looks at who initiates (begins) the termination request regardless of the reason for termination. This means that even if the teacher and student talk and come to an agreement, the person who first wanted to terminate the package must make the termination request. If terminating the package was not your idea, make sure the other person is the one who initiates the termination request.
Teacher Initiates Termination of the Package
- If the teacher was responsible for the termination, then the teacher will receive italki Credits for each lesson they have taught at a rate of the entire cost of the package evenly divided by the number of lessons in the package (the package rate) with the remaining italki Credits refunded to the student.
- For example, a teacher's package consisted of 10 lessons at a total cost of $100 USD in italki Credits. Three (3) lessons are taught but then the teacher cannot continue due to illness. The teacher receives $30 USD in italki Credits (minus italki's regular commission) and the student's account will be credited $70 USD in italki Credits.
Student Initiates Termination of the Package
- If the student was responsible for the termination, then the teacher will receive credits for each lesson they have taught in the package at their regular rate for individual lessons up to the total price of the package, with any remaining credits going back to the student.
- For example, a teacher's package consisted of 10 lessons at a total cost of $100 USD in italki Credits. The teacher's regular rate for individual 1-to-1 lessons is $15 USD in italki Credits per lesson. Three (3) lessons are taught but then the student cannot continue due to illness. The teacher receives $45 USD in italki Credits (minus italki's regular commission) and the student's account will be credited $55 USD in italki Credits.
- If the student and the teacher agrees to terminate the package, when the student initiates the termination of the package, he may click "I have contacted my teacher and and we have agreed to terminate this package at the package price per lesson."
- Note that the student may not receive any italki Credits if the package termination is accepted and the total individual lesson price exceeds the price of the package. In a situation like this, you should ask the Teacher to initiate the package termination so you will receive refunds at the package rate.
In the event that there is a dispute as to who terminated a package and the student and teacher cannot reach a compromise, then italki will mediate the dispute. italki's decision on the dispute is final. Please note that in the case of a dispute, it is up to the teacher and the student to provide proof to italki to support their positions.
Note: If your student/teacher does not respond to the termination request after 7 days, please write in to firstname.lastname@example.org with the package ID and we will terminate the package for you.