Every italki user has an ID number. If you are using a free membership, then the URL for your italki profile is www.italki.com/user/XXXXXX where the Xs represent your italki ID #.
If you are a Premium Member or a Teacher, you have the ability to set your own custom profile URL.
( Read about the other benefits of premium membership: What is Premium Membership? )
Your custom URL will look like something like: www.italki.com/your.custom.url
This makes it easy for you to share your profile with others. Whether you are a language learner looking for a language exchange partner or a teacher looking for students, setting a custom URL means that you can have a more memorable profile URL to share with others. After you change your URL, your old URL will still work.
Before you change your URL, please note:
1) You can only create 1 custom URL. You cannot change your URL more than once, so be sure you type it correctly the first time.
2) Your personal URL must be between 6-20 characters ("A-Z", "0-9", ".", "-", "_"), and cannot start with number or punctuation mark.
3) Capitalization is not important. If you type "John.Smith", it will become "john.smith" in the URL. If someone types "italki.com/John.Smith", then they will still be directed to your profile "italki.com/john.smith"
How to customize your URL:
1. Sign in to your italki account
2. Go to "Account Settings"
3. Click on 'Select a Personal URL' next to "Personal URL" to edit your URL
4. Follow the instructions to create your own personal custom URL