UPDATE 23 APRIL 2018
- Introduction to Community Policy
- Community Conduct Policy
- Community Content Policy
- Reporting Violations of italki Community Policy
Introduction to Community Policy
italki’s Community Policy help ensure that italki is a safe place where language learners from all over the world can connect with one another and help each other learn a language.
italki’s default position is to not delete, censor, or edit user generated content in any of italki’s community features. However, there are cases in which italki may take extraordinary steps in response to violations of the Community Policy, the Terms of Service, and other policies.
These actions can include:
* Deleting or banning users
* Editing or removing content
Community Conduct Policy
1. Do NOT Spam: Do not send the same message to multiple users or repeatedly post the same message in discussions, notebooks or answers sections.
2. Do NOT Post or Send Commercial Advertisements: Do not post or comment for commercial purposes.
3. Do NOT Search for a Romantic Relationship: Do not contact other italki members for dating, or to find sexual partners. italki considers this harassment. italki takes reports of unwanted sexual advances very seriously.
4. Do NOT Harass, Bully, or Stalk: italki does not tolerate harassment, bullying or stalking. italki will take action on all reports of abusive behavior. Repeatedly messaging another user with unwanted friend requests or messages is a form of harassment.
5. Do NOT Create False Identities: Claiming to be another person, creating a false presence for an organization, or creating multiple accounts is not allowed. Duplicate, fake, and joke profiles are not allowed.
Community Content Policy
User Generated Content that falls into any of the following categories is prohibited and italki will remove this content. Any italki user that is in violation of italki policies can and will be removed from the italki system.
1. Hate Speech and Offensive Language
italki does not permit hate speech or offensive language. We do not permit users to attack others based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability or medical condition.
2. Commercial or Promotional Content
We ask that you respect our members by not contacting them for commercial purposes without their consent. In addition, do not make posts or comments that are solely for commercial purposes since this detracts from, and does not add anything of value to the language-learning community.
3. Sexual and Pornographic Content
italki has a strict policy against the sharing of pornographic content and any sexually explicit content. We also impose limitations on the display of nudity.
4. Personally Identifiable Information italki does not allow publishing a user's personal information without a person's consent.
5. Pirated Content
italki does not allow users to share content on italki, where they do not have the rights to do so. We ask that you respect copyrights, trademarks, and other legal rights.
6. Political or Religious Discussions
italki does not permit discussions or graphics relating to political or religious events or groups. Politics and religion are sensitive topics that often lead to polarizing and hateful comments. It is our position to not have these types of discussions on a site that is meant for language learning.
We remove content when we think there is a risk of physical harm, or a threat to public or individual safety. You may not threaten others, or suggest acts of violence. We do not allow promoting, planning or celebrating any actions if they could result in harm to others, including theft and vandalism.
italki takes threats of self-harm seriously. We remove any promotion or encouragement of self-mutilation, eating disorders, or drug abuse. We also work with suicide prevention agencies around the world to provide assistance for people in distress.
italki has identified attempts to gain access to user accounts by unauthorized parties in the last few days. We believe that these attempts are part of a Brute-force Attack. Our system security and engineering teams have taken steps to neutralize the attack and increase the security of our system and web site.
No financial or payment information has been accessed on italki. This is because italki itself does not store any user’s payment information and details.
- Disabled password for affected accounts. italki has identified a small number of accounts that have been accessed due to this attack. To secure account privacy, our system security team took steps to automatically disable passwords of affected accounts. Users affected simply need to reset their passwords to have access to italki again.
- Password change recommendation for all users. We have also communicated to a larger group of users who have logged in to italki recently to change their passwords as soon as possible. However, these recommendations apply to all users. See more below for “Steps to safeguard your italki account”.
- reCAPTCHA for every login. Previously, users were prompted to provide the CAPTCHA security code only after a number of failed login attempts. We’ve now implemented a CAPTCHA security code prompt for every login attempt.
- We’re not done yet. We are currently reviewing and implementing new security systems and options for users to further safeguard their italki accounts.
Steps to safeguard your italki account
We encourage our users to follow these security recommendations:
- Change your passwords (create stronger passwords).
- Do not use on italki the same password used on other online services.
- Review your accounts for suspicious activity.
- Be cautious of any unsolicited communications that ask for your personal information or refer you to a web page asking for personal information.
- Avoid clicking on links or downloading attachments from suspicious emails.