We're currently testing the italki Classroom with a select group of students. If you are part of the select group, read on to learn more about the italki Classroom. We will gradually increase the percentage of students and countries that have access to the Classroom in the next few months.
IMPORTANT: We do not currently support Classroom lessons on mobile.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO BEFORE TAKING A LESSON?
We STRONGLY recommend you to prepare a headset with microphone to take the lesson for better audio quality.
Please close all unrelated programs on your computer, otherwise it might have an impact on italki Classroom.
HOW TO USE THE CLASSROOM
NEW LESSON REQUEST
New italki Classroom enabled lesson requests will have italki Classroom as the communication tool. You can "Accept", "Decline", "Change Date/Time", and "Change Price" for this lesson.
OPTIONAL ALTERNATIVE COMMUNICATION TOOL
Once the lesson is scheduled on italki classroom, the student can add an alternative communication tool. Both student and teacher will be notified of this alternative communication tool through italki messages - a notification email will also be sent to the teacher.
* The alternative communication tool (e.g. Skype, QQ...etc) can only be added ONCE per lesson, once it has been saved, YOU CANNOT CHANGE IT ANYMORE.
USING ITALKI CLASSROOM FOR THE FIRST TIME
1. 24hrs before the lesson starts, the button on the lesson detail page will change from "Change date/time" into "View Lesson".
More than 24hrs before the lesson starts:
Within 24 hours before the lesson starts
2. Clicking on "ENTER CLASSROOM" will take you to the welcome screen (see below). If this is your first time using the Classroom (or if you’re using italki Classroom on a new computer), your browser will prompt you to allow italki.com to access your camera and microphone.
Again, this is to provide italki.com platform permission to access your camera and microphone to enter the italki Classroom. Your lesson content is private. italki does not have access to your video or audio content and we do not record video or audio of any part of a lesson in the italki Classroom.
Google Chrome - Allow camera + microphone:
Mozilla Firefox - Allow camera + microphone:
Safari - Allow camera + microphone:
ENTERING ITALKI CLASSROOM
1. When you enter the italki Classroom, you will see a countdown timer until the lesson begins.
2. If you experience connection problems on italki Classroom, you have access to your student’s details (and they to yours) from the "Connection problems?" link.
3. After your lesson is complete, go ahead and confirm by selecting "EVERYTHING WAS OK" or "I HAD PROBLEMS".
Sharing screen is a function that currently only works for Google Chrome Browsers.
To turn on Screen Sharing, click on the Share Screen button on the toolbar at the bottom of the page.
A pop-up window from Google Chrome will ask for Sharing permission. Click on the Share button.
Now you will be sharing your screen!
To turn off Screen Share click on the Stop sharing bar first then you will need to also click on the Share Screen button on the italki Classroom Toolbar.