italki wishes to ensure clarity so that everyone can have a positive experience connecting with teachers or language learners. We believe that our users are respectful and considerate of each other and we want to encourage the behaviours as described in the lesson policy below.
- Start your teacher service on time
Connect with your students on the agreed communication platform before the lesson time. For example, there can be confusion or miscommunication about emails or user IDs. By connecting before the lesson, both teachers and students can avoid problems during the scheduled lesson time. Start any Lesson at the time scheduled with the Student, and initiate contact with the Student.
- Wait for your late student
If a student is late, be available to teach during the entire booked lesson time. However, teachers are not expected to make up lesson time lost due to student tardiness and are not required to continue the lesson beyond the official end time.
- Reschedule due to students’ absence
If a student fails to attend a lesson, it is your right to be paid in full. However, if the student had an accident, an emergency, or it was an honest misunderstanding, the teacher can choose to allow the student to reschedule. How to reschedule after the lesson time has ended.
- End Lesson on time.
Politely let Students know that their lessons are ending by reminding them before the end of the Lesson time period.
- Resolve lesson problems by keeping records
If there are any problems, italki hope teachers and students can come to an agreement by reporting a lesson problem. If there is a problem with the lesson that requires italki’s mediation, we ask both students and teachers to provide evidence in the form of screenshots (showing any relevant information including time and date). This will help italki resolve the dispute faster.
italki Cancellation & Rescheduling Policy
A confirmed Lesson is a commitment you make with a Student. Reschedule or cancel as a last resort and only after you have communicated this with your Student.
- More than 24 hours before the lesson start time: Rescheduling of confirmed lessons is only possible if both the student and the teacher agree (this must be done via the italki platform).
- Within 24 hours of the lesson start time: Rescheduling of confirmed lessons is only possible if both the student and the teacher agree. At the lesson end time select "There was a problem", and select "Reschedule" as the resolution.
- More than 24 hours before lesson start time: Cancellation is only possible if both the student and the teacher agree. Cancellation is handled on the italki platform.
- Less than 24 hours to lesson start time: After the lesson ends, cancellation is possible by reporting a lesson problem but only if the other party agrees. In emergencies where a large number of lessons need to be cancelled, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and request that italki cancel the lessons.
We have a standardized lesson, cancellation, and rescheduling policy which applies to all teachers and students. These policies were designed to prevent confusion and to make it easier for everyone.