If you prefer a video introduction to the italki Classroom, click here.
This article will introduce:
- What is the italki Classroom?
- How can I select italki Classroom as a lesson communication tool?
- How do I use italki Classroom?
- Had a problem with using the italki classroom?
What is the italki Classroom?
The Classroom is a video communication tool with a screen sharing feature on italki. On your computer, you don’t need to download another app, but simply login to italki with any supported browsers and click “Enter Classroom” to have lessons!
It is also built in the italki app on mobile devices, which means you can have your lessons on the go.
- Google Chrome
Safari 13+ (on Mac and iPad. Screen sharing NOT supported on iPad)
How can I select italki Classroom as a lesson communication tool?
When you are booking a lesson, after selecting the date and time, the Classroom can be selected as your lesson communication tool. (Find other applicable communication tools on italki here)
If you are a teacher, you can select the italki Classroom as a communication tool by sending a Lesson Invitation.
How do I use italki Classroom?
1. Visit your Student Dashboard, find the lesson is about to start and click “Enter Classroom”.
(If you are a teacher, visit your Teacher Dashboard to find the lesson)
2. If this is your first time using the Classroom (or if you’re using italki Classroom on a new computer), a window will prompt out requesting to access your microphone and camera. Click “allow” to grant the access.
Then click the “Enter classroom” button.
3. Here is your italki Classroom page!
To share your screen, click the “Screen Sharing” button on the toolbar at the bottom of the page.
A pop-up window will ask for sharing permission. Select the window or app you’d like to present and click “share”
Click the screen sharing button again to stop sharing.
If you have connection issues, click the question mark in the Control Panel to access your student/teacher’s account of their alternative communication tool (and they to yours).
4. When the lesson is over, click LEAVE on the top left corner. Let us know how it was like and help us to improve!
Problem with using italki classroom?
1. No video or Mic source
- Check if your browser has enabled italki to access your camera or microphone
- Check if you have turned on other video software such as Skype or Zoom. Turn them off first and re-enter Classroom.
- If you have connected with an external camera or microphone, make sure you have selected the correct input source.
2. My teacher and I have both entered the classroom, but we can’t see each other.
The classroom is only available for the lesson time. If you are having this problem during the lesson, please quit your browser and log in to italki to try again.
3. I have selected Skype as a communication tool for my lesson/package. But I want to switch to italki Classroom. How can I do that?
The communication tool cannot be changed once a lesson/package is booked. You will need to book again to select the new communication tool.
If you are unfamiliar with the booking process, ask your teacher to send you a lesson invitation by selecting the italki Classroom.