Possible Reasons for Connection Issues
The connection quality of your lesson depends on a combination of factors, including:
- Device quality
- Operating system
- Internet environment
- Internet connection strength
When you use italki Classroom, you’re directly connected to the other user to protect the safety and privacy of your data.
With direct connections, we can’t guarantee that your connection won’t be blocked by the other user’s setup (Firewall, ISP policy, etc.). This is unfortunately out of our control and isn’t related to italki not working or being unstable. You can write to us at support and we’ll try out best to help.
Video calls take up quite a lot of data and CPU power, so the less powerful the computer the more CPU resources it has to use to establish a connection.
Having difficulties with connecting in the italki Classroom? If so, check out the following troubleshooting that may help with your situation:
- Make sure all other applications which may use audio and video are completely closed (such as Skype or Zoom).
- Make sure that your browser has permissions to use your camera and microphone and that you’re using the latest browser versions
- Make sure your computer or device is fully charged or connected to a charger.
- Switch browsers: if you are using Google Chrome, try connecting with Firefox. If you’re using Firefox, try connecting with Google Chrome.
- Restart your computer/device
- If you have another computer or device, try switching devices
- Disable any Windows Firewall, Windows Defender AntiVirus programs (McAfee, Symantec, Norton, Kaspersky, Avast, etc) as these programs can sometimes block access to the other user.
How to exclude a link from the scan scope in Kaspersky Internet Security
- Open the settings in Kaspersky Internet Security and choose Protection –> Web Anti-Virus.
- In the Web Anti-Virus settings window, select Advanced Settings.
- Click Configure trusted URLs and specify the link or links (rtc.italki.com) you want Kaspersky Internet Security not to check.
For more information, see the detailed article in our Knowledge Base devoted to checking Web pages for threats in Kaspersky Internet Security.
Other problems with using the italki classroom?
- No video or Mic source
- Check if your browser has enabled italki to access your camera or microphone
- Check if you have turned on other video software such as Skype or Zoom. Turn them off first and re-enter Classroom.
- If you have connected with an external camera or microphone, make sure you have selected the correct input source.
- My teacher and I have both entered the classroom, but we can’t see each other.
The classroom is only available for the lesson time. If you are having this problem during the lesson, please quit your browser and log in to italki to try again.
- I have selected Skype as a communication tool for my lesson/package. But I want to switch to italki Classroom. How can I do that?
The communication tool cannot be changed once a lesson/package is booked. You will need to book again to select the new communication tool.
If you are unfamiliar with the booking process, ask your teacher to send you a lesson invitation by selecting the italki Classroom.
Tips for Troubleshooting Connection Issues
- If you’re using a mobile device, we recommend switching to a computer for a more stable connection.
- Make sure your device is fully charged or connected to a charger.
- Restart your device or switch devices.
- Update your computer operating system.
Programs and Applications
- Make sure all other background apps and programs which use audio or video (such as Skype, iTunes, VLC media player, etc.) are closed.
- Switch browsers (Chrome, Firefox, or Safari) or update and reinstall the app on mobile. Make sure your Chrome or Firefox browsers are updated. If you’re not sure, find out with this link.
- Lower the quality of the call by clicking the button in the header.
- Disable Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, or other antivirus programs such as McAfee, Norton, Avast, etc.
- If you’re using the italki app, you can switch to italki Classroom.
- Switch to another wifi network.
- Leave then re-enter italki Classroom.
- If you’re using Chrome, go to chrome://settings/content/camera and chrome://settings/content/microphone to make sure italki Classroom isn’t listed as blocked.
Important: If the issue still hasn’t been solved and you’re using a computer, please enter your lesson using the Chrome browser. When the issue occurs, take a screenshot.
How to Take a Screenshot
Windows: Press the “PrtSc” key and paste the screenshot into a document and then right-click the screenshot and click “Save as Picture.”
Mac: Press “Cmd+shift+3” for a full-screen screenshot, or “Cmd+shift+4” to control what you screenshot. The screenshot will appear automatically on your desktop.
Send the screenshots along with the link to your lesson with a short explanation of the problem to email@example.com.