iCalendar (*.ics extension) is a popular file format used to distribute calendar information between different applications over the internet. You can now synchronize your italki session schedules with popular calendar programs such as:
- Apple iCal
- Google Calendar
- Microsoft Outlook
- Mozilla Lightning
You only need to enter your iCalender feed once. Each time that you try to import your iCalendar feed, you will receive an entirely new iCalendar URL.
1. Click on your profile picture on the drop-down menu.
2. Click "Calendar", then select "GET ICALENDAR FEED" at the bottom.
Google Calendar Instructions
1. On the left sidebar click on the three dots symbol next to "Add calendar".
2. Then click on "From URL".
3. On italki click on "GET ICALENDAR FEED" and copy and paste the iCalendar Feed URL into the Google Calendar.
Note: Google sometimes has problems syncing with iCal feeds that use "https://". To fix this problem, just use the "http://" (delete the "s" from the URL).
4. Your italki iCalendar Feed is now imported into your Google Calendar. Your upcoming sessions will appear in a different color.
Apple iCal Instructions
1. Open the iCal program in "Applications" and from the "File" select "New Calendar Subscription" and paste one of the two feed URLs above into the Calendar URL field then click "Subscribe".
2. Change the name and color (optional) and update the Auto-refresh frequency to Every day (this is important!), then click "OK".
Microsoft Outlook Instructions
1. Sign into your Microsoft Outlook account and open the calendar on the top left.
2. Click "Add calendar" and from the dropdown menu click "From the Internet".
3. Paste in the iCal link from your italki calendar, name your calendar, and click "Save".
4. Your lessons will now appear in your Outlook calendar.
Mozilla Lightning Instructions
Lightning is a calendar plugin for the email client Mozilla Thunderbird.
1. From the "File" menu in Thunderbird select "New" then "Calendar". Choose "On the Network" and click "Next". Afterwards, choose your iCalendar format and paste the calendar URL in "Location" then click "Next".
2. Afterward, you can change the Name, Color, and notification options. When you've finished choosing, click "Next" and then "Finish".
3. You can set the refresh frequency by clicking "Tools", "Options", "Lightning", "General", then "Refresh Settings".