Here is everything you need to know before applying to teach on italki.
FAQ: Why teach on italki?
There are currently two types of teaching profile on italki. Consider which is most appropriate for you:
Professional Teaching profile:
- Professional teachers have training as educators and/or extensive professional teaching experience. They can provide students with resources, prepared materials, and structured lesson plans to help students reach their goals.
- To apply for a professional teaching profile, you must upload documents showing your training and experience as an educator.
Community tutor profile:
- Community tutors are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and use their time to provide students with informal tutoring or conversation practice.
To teach on italki, you must agree to use italki in accordance with teaching policies and Terms of Service described here:
A few main points:
- Communicate with students promptly and attend lessons reliably
- Treat students with professional courtesy at all times
- Maintain your profile, services, and availability to keep it updated and accurate
- Report problems or violations to italki support staff - we're here to help
Please do not:
- Do not publicly post or request private contact information like Skype or email
- Do not request or accept payment outside of italki's payment system
- Do not use italki as a way of advertising or recruiting for other services
- Do not offer free lessons, except to students you know well; italki has a discounted trial lesson option, but it is not free. If you want to give free lessons, then perhaps you would like to be a language partner
What you need to teach on italki:
1. "Native" or Advanced (C2) language proficiency
italki currently requires language proficiency of Advanced (C2) or "Native" level in order to create courses and teach a language. italki uses the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages for reporting language proficiency. (Read more about language requirements on italki
2. Reliable access to an internet connection
italki teachers are online language teachers. You will need regular access to the internet for:
- Giving your lessons online
- Accepting lesson requests from students - requests will expire if you do not respond within 48 hours.
- Communicating with your students and managing your teaching profile.
You should have reliable access to an internet connection with a speed of at least 2 MB per second.
Here are some suggestions for improving your connection speed.
3. VOIP software (Skype, Hangouts, Facetime, or QQ)
italki currently supports Skype, Google Hangouts, Facetime and QQ. You MUST download, install and create an account using one of these options before your first lesson. All are free to use for calling between computers. MOST students and teachers use Skype.
Make sure that this software is working on your device:
- Test your Skype connection
- Verify Hangouts Sound and Video
- Facetime requirements
- QQ System requirements
To protect your privacy, DO NOT give out your personal account information to students or post it on your profile. When a student requests a session with you, italki will provide you and your student with the contact details so that you can add each other on your chosen communication platform.
4. External microphone and/or webcam
Using an external camera or microphone typically provides better audio/video quality than using your device's built-in camera or microphone.
5. An italki user profile
Register for a free profile on italki.com - after creating your account, you can apply for a teaching account.
6. Completed online teaching application
Log into your italki account and click on "I'm interested in teaching". Follow the links to complete your online application. If approved, this application will become your teaching profile.
You can also follow this direct link after logging in:
We are typically able to review applications within 2 weeks after they are submitted. You will receive an email once your application has been reviewed.
What you need to complete your application:
Remember that your profile is what students will consider when choosing a teacher and lessons. Consider how your profile will look to students, and choose pictures and an introduction that represents you at your best.
1. A "display name" that suits you.
The online application will ask for your first name and your last name. It will also ask for a "display name". This does not need to be your real or legal name, but it should be a name that you expect your students to call you. Please do not enter an online handle or nickname, since this does not make your profile seem like a real person.
Acceptable "display names":
- "Mr. B", "Teacher Marie", "Chen Yifei", or "Kathy" are all acceptable
- "TOEFL Teacher" (instead of putting "TOEFL" in your name, you can add it as a "teaching specialties" tag so students who want to take the TOEFL can search for you using the exam")
- "anime451" (please do not use an online nickname or handle.)
- "English Tutor" (please do not use a name that cannot distinguish you from others)
2. A well-chosen profile picture
3. Accurate language levels for what you will teach and what you already speak.
4. A written introduction about yourself and what you can offer to students. You might include your approach to teaching and language learning, as well as some interesting information about you and your background.
We suggest you state your personal reschedule/cancellation policies as well as any prerequisites for your students.
5. A video introduction to yourself and your lessons (you must speak in every language in which you are C2 or "native" level).
6. (For professional teaching applications) documentation of training or experience as a professional educator.
If your application is accepted:
You will receive an email and a notification next time you log into italki. Then, you will be able to add:
- Your calendar of availability
- Your lessons and prices
- lesson packages and trial lessons (optional)
Please note that changes you make to your profile photo, video, and other information must be first approved by italki staff before they will be displayed on your profile.
If you have a specific question that has not been addressed, please contact us by filling out this request for more information and we will reply as soon as we are able.
Begin your application: